Friday, January 27, 2006

Close Encounter with Saturn

On Friday, Jan. 27th, Saturn will be at its closest to Earth for all of 2006. Even a small telescope will show the planet's exquisite rings. Look for Saturn rising in the east at sunset (it looks like a bright yellow star) and soaring overhead at midnight. Bad weather on Friday? Don't worry. Saturn will remain close to Earth for weeks to come. You'll have many more chances to see the ringed planet at its best. Visit Spaceweather.com for details and a sky map.

BIG SUNSPOT: Sunspot 848 burst through the surface of the sun last week and quickly grew into a planet-sized behemoth. (Which planet? Coincidentally, Saturn.) Now it is falling apart. The rise and fall of this big 'spot is shown in a movie on Spaceweather.com.

1 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been star gazing for several years now, and I just got a set of binoculars(15x50IS) around Christmas. But when I was bragging about what I could see with it, someone gave me (Yes, gave me) an old 8" telescope they weren't using.
Last night for the first time ever, I saw the rings of Saturn! Wonderful! We woke up all the kids and took them out to look.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home